What does PBIS stand for?
- “PBIS” is short for Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports. This language comes directly from the 1997 reauthorization of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- PBIS is used interchangeably with SWPBS, which is short for “School-wide Positive Behavior Supports.”
- PBIS is based on principles of applied behavior analysis and the prevention approach and values of positive behavior support.
What is PBIS?
- PBIS is a framework or approach for assisting school personnel in adopting and organizing evidence-based behavioral interventions into an integrated continuum that enhances academic and social behavior outcomes for all students.
- PBIS IS NOT a packaged curriculum, scripted intervention, or manualized strategy.
- PBIS IS a prevention-oriented way for school personnel to (a) organize evidence-based practices, (b) improve their implementation of those practices, and (c) maximize academic and social behavior outcomes for students.
- PBIS supports the success of ALL students.